Let your mind settle down to that place where you are most yourself, your breath slowing to where beauty meets freedom. Allow kindness to bubble up inside, to flow through you, to ripple out like a raindrop on a calm lake.
In this place we experience joy in giving. The gift we give inspires, bringing a caught-off-guard element of pleasing surprise to life in an otherwise seemingly ordinary day. It inspires happiness in the person who receives the gift, happiness in ourselves, and to countless others who are observers along the way. It sparks a ripple effect!
Try this. Perform five random acts of kindness this week and see what happens. Here are some examples to help get you started, have fun and be creative. I would love to hear what happens if you care to share!
- Hold a door open for a cranky person.
- Visit someone who doesn’t receive many visitors.
- Bake cookies and bring them to a nurse’s station at a hospital or hospice unit.
- Pay for a stranger’s coffee in line.
- Purchase 4 five dollar gift cards and give them away to someone who doesn’t expect it.
- Invite someone to dinner.